Tuesday, 11 October 2016

MY PUGLIA DIARIES #2

This is my Puglia diary.

This is the moment when you need to go back to your roots,to your place, to spend time with the friends of your childhood and family and scream to yourself who you really are and what is your real nature.
This is mine. This is where I come from, this is why Hello Stefy was born: to not forget what I belong to. 

I belong to Puglia.

I belong to this corner of heaven, where the sunlight blinds you, where food tastes sea and history and people use to say "where you eat for two you can also eat for three" which also means mi casa es tu casa.

I'd love you all to follow me in this journey between olive fields, caring grandmas and young dreamers because I can't keep all this beauty for myself.

Puglia Diaries #2 Sky, Sea, Tomatoes and Mussels 

If you'd ask me "How do you experience your going back to Puglia as expat?" I'd certainly answer "OVERWHELMED BY THE SUNLIGHT". 
Stepping out from the plane I feel like the sunlight comes to pick me up from the airport, takes my hands saying "Welcome back Stefi". This may happen in July as in January, because the Sun of Puglia doesn't make the difference between summer and winter, It's always there, to warm up your soul.
I needed to go back to my Castle, the Castle of Barletta, this powerful treasure. I know exactly how the view looks like from the top of the castle, that's the why I go there. 
Not many colours: the Blue of the horizon and the White of the stone. I am surrounded by the history, I am surrounded by my own story.



Then I go back home for lunch and I remind to my self that maybe the reason why I live in Belgium is the culinary tradition they have in common: Mussels. Delicious, sexy, tasty, strong mussels. 
My father always welcomes his two daughters with this dish, which is the dish of all maritime towns of southern Italy : Spaghetti con le cozze. 
Not much ingredients: Mussels (Cozze), tomatoes, garlic and fresh persil. 

Welcome Back home Stefi.



No comments:

Post a Comment